loryces online
The Da Vinci Code

I've finished reading The Da Vinci Code a month ago but haven't had the time to post what I think of it. Probably because I was still deciding whether I like it or not and whether it was deserving of the raves and controversies. And so you ask "was it?" Well to tell you the truth, I was not really impressed. Then again I may have expected too much of it. Anyway you'll find below a list of some of the rants I have about this book. Some of you may agree or not, but be advised that this is my blog and I will write what I think, not you. (Bug off if you have any complaints or better yet, make your own blog!) Aherm. Sorry got carried away there. Anyway, carry on.



POSSIBLE SPOILERS!


POSSIBLE SPOILERS!


POSSIBLE SPOILERS!




  1. Yeah, it has some great ideas, an intriguing plot, and unbelievable twists. But that's the thing -- sa dami ng twists parang na-OA-an ako. Mystery is an excellent device in literature but in this case, I would say it's a tad overdone.
  2. There's also the issue of character development, or lack thereof, I should say. We know nothing about the characters -- their thought processes, emotional states, or issues. Parang linagay lang sa libro to increase the book's appeal to the market. It's like just any other theory book, but with the inclusion of characters and dialogue, which of course (if you ask me) did nothing to improve it. One of the joys of reading is for us (the readers) to get to know the characters, endearing them to us. But nooo, not in this book. Kaya wala akong ka-amor-amor kay Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveu eh. With all that's happening to them, I could care less.
  3. I read it in 3 days. That's how bored I am of this book. I wasn't really looking forward to finishing it in a day or two. It just didn't appeal to me. I found it shallow.
  4. Disney? Little mermaid?? Huh???
  5. The story didn't stay with me. Parang after a day or so, wala na, nalimutan ko na ang story, even the characters' names. That's saying something because I usually remember the characters of the books I read, especially if their roles are well-written (ie Dolores Price, Frodo, Lily Bart).
  6. As one reviewer said, "this book is an affront on so many levels." And I say amen to that!



For me, the good thing that came out of reading this book is the realization that my faith wasn't perturbed one little bit. I was really surprised. I was even prepared to question my faith (once again) but it didn't happen. I guess my issues lie with the church not Jesus/God. Contrary to what others say, I don't think this would shake your religious beliefs.



My overall opinion? It was not THAT great a book. I would be surprised if some people would say that it has the makings of a classic. I suggest buy yourself something that's worth your money. Just borrow a copy of the Da Vinci Code from someone else.


Onga pala if you want to read the book, here are some pointers that would probably be of some help. Thanks Bibeduck!

2 comment(s):
At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

Hi, got across your blog while I was surfing the net. Yes I have read the book and it is erudite but I guess you have a point. I am sorry if my post is unrelated to it, but I really just want to say hi! Hope you're doing okay. Advance!! Joan. Gee how do I get outta here? Joke

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

joaaaaaaaaaaan!! oh my! thanks for visiting my site! miss you girl! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home