loryces online
Public Libraries

I love public libraries, especially our town's. I never had this much fun browsing and borrowing books. Sa Pilipinas, hanggang tingin lang ako, especially if I'm not sure if the book's good or if it's too pricey. When I buy books, I either have to shell out money from my savings or go to Booksale and pray to the gods that it's available. No wonder my mom won't let me buy books; it's way too expensive to be considered a necessity. For her, it's just a vice. Sad, that. However, here in the US, borrowing books is never a hassle--not on your pockets anyway. Fall in line, tell whoever's on duty that you want to apply for a library card, fill out an application form, and that's it. You can borrow unlimited number of books for three weeks, music CDs for two weeks, and DVDs/VHS tapes for a week. How cool is that?



my library card!


Library card ko... finally!



online catalog

(Di ako marunong magtake ng screenshot hehe.)

One of the most amazing things I discovered is the library's online service. Holding/reserving a book/DVD/CD online has never been this easy (and fun!). All you have to do is type in your card's barcode number and password and viola... you're logged into your very own online library account. You can search for books or movies if available in your local library or in other libraries in and around your area. You can certainly reserve the title and the library will contact you (email or phone) if it comes through. As of now, I have 68 holds and 75 check-outs--including music CDs, VHS, and DVDs. Pwede rin i-renew ang books and CDs.


Basta reserve lang ako ng reserve. It takes time to take ahold of some of the titles so I had to reserve it as early as possible. Besides some of them have been checked out so pila na ko agad. Here are some of the stuff I borrowed.






That's the Peter Pan OST, Spider-man OST, CSI OST, albums by Jason Mraz, John Mayer, and Dashboard Confessional, and a LOTR-inspired CD. On hold titles include Six Feet Under OST and Alanis album. :)








Eto naman mga librong hiniram ko: T.H. White's The Once and Future King, Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven, George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm, Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar, and some anthologies with Neil Gaiman stories. I also borrowed some LOTR tapes that I plan to give to my friend. As of this moment, available na daw sa lib ang hinold kong Eintein's Dreams by Alan Lightman, Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, and I Know This Much is True by Wally lamb. Aaack! Hay daming babasahin. Almost 20 books in 3 weeks--heaven! Makes me want to curl up in bed and just read everyday. Nakahiram na rin ako ng mga rare stuff na gusto kong basahin/panoorin: PT reviewer books, Six Feet Under Season 1, Sex and the City Seasons 1-6, Xena-related stuff, and Edward Hayes's books. Hay I love public libraries!

9 comment(s):
At 2:53 AM, Blogger Ina N commented...

wow that is a lot of stuff. :) that reminds me to check out the public libraries here, now that i'm done with studying.

you can borrow currently popular CDs? that is so cool. last time i checked, you could only borrow really really old CDs from the libraries here.

oh and, PT reviewers? how exciting. ;)

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

ay, kainggit naman! i wish libraries here were as nice. =(

-- rej

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Emer commented...

Pathetic library dito sa atin. Yung National Library nga mas lalong nakakaawa. Tama. Nakakainggit ka nga dyan ngayon.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Unknown commented...

Wow! Buti ka pa. Me? I am actually waiting for the bookstores here to go on sale coz I have about 5 books on my must-read list. Then I have to save up for esch and every one of them. *sigh*

More LOTR music for me! Yay! :)

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger loryces commented...

ina: yep you can borrow currently popular CDs and DVDs. :) basta hintay ka lang kasi most of the time, nasa hiraman eh.

rej: i know. pathetic lib sa atin eh. kainis.

doc emer: tama! kakaawa tlga natl lib natin. :(

kare: nope it's not lotr music. it's... well just wait and see. :)

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger u l a n commented...

hey lau-- so how did you get a shot of that website? =) to take a screenshot:

1) open the site you want to get a shot of;
2) press the Print Screen button;
3) Open Photoshop;
4) Open a new file in photoshop (1024x768);
5) Click Edit >> Paste. (or CTRL V)

Tadah!

=)

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

liann: hehe. basta pag sa reading room, yan yung mga books na hiniram ko sa lib and are currently in my possession. i just have to bide my time in reading 'em.

ulan: ngek! well kala ko naman literal na screenshot -- so using my cam, i took a SHOT of the SCREEN. hmm di ko alam yang tip na yan. ma-try nga. thanks bunch!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Raych commented...

pwede bang magteleport at mapuntahan yang town library niyo?

*toottoot* ng mga library dito sa Pilipinas eh, inaanay na mga libro. inggit tuloy ako sayo! dati nong mga nasa gradeschool pa ko, naisip ko na bakit walang nagpapahiram ng mga (cassette tapes noon) VCDs/CDs, ngayon may sagot na sa tanong ko!

sana makapunta na ako ng Amerika.

bisyo ba ang pagbili ng libro? kung ganon,may bisyo na ko :D

ok lang, para sa akin ang library ko dito sa Pilipinas ay Powerbooks :p

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger loryces commented...

hi raych! aba kung pwede lang dalhin ko kayo dito sa lib eh ginawa ko na noh! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home