loryces online
Born to Gram Stain1

That's what my Microbiology professor told me during lab -- I was "born to Gram stain." That's because all of the slides that I did, using the different differential stains, came out very nice and perfect (her words). She would usually use my slides as examples for the whole class *insert blush*. I guess I'm just happy that my professor acknowledged my hardwork I've put into this course. Ever since classes started 4 weeks ago, I feel happy, almost giddy, on days that I have Micro. I just love what I'm doing right now, especially during lab: inoculating and culturing bacteria, analyzing them based on their sizes and shapes, reactions with different media, and results of differential/selective staining, and perusing the slides under the microscope. I don't know what it is about Micro that excites me so. I just love it. But I'm not going to lie; it still is hard but I think it's bearable because I love the subject. Maybe it's my calling... hah, that's a thought.

I'm actually (seriously) considering pursuing a degree in Microbiology. I even looked into the Micro programs of University of Washington, University of Texas, and University of Illinois, among others. Seems overwhelming especially when I saw two courses of Physics included in their curricula.2 Oh well. I guess I'm just going to stick to my 2 degrees. Yoko ng Physics ha. Blegh.


1 Gram stain is the most commonly and widely used differential staining method. It's a four-part procedure that is used for the identification of a bacteria, whether they have a thick or thin cell wall.
2 Well let's just say we (Physics and I) have a long standing feud dating back years ago. I hate that subject. Wait, hate is a mild word. Let's try again. I abhor Physics, with a passion. Hehe.


9 comment(s):
At 5:25 AM, Blogger u l a n commented...

congrats! ;-)

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger solo flite commented...

ugh. my memories of highschool microbiology consist mainly of an eccentric teacher and her pet slime mold.

Though, I do use myxomycetes in sentences from time to time just to stump obnoxious sonsofbitches :D

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

ulan: thanks! :)

soloflite: haha!

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

Ano naman mo daw yung myxomyceses na yan.
Glad you're enjoying your classes! (at least that one)
Si James nga pala 'to.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Unknown commented...

cool! at least u found something you're really, really good at and enjoy at the same time! :)

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger lifecafe commented...

coolies! i'm glad you're enjoying the class.

btw, i'm sure hec would be more than happy to be your physics tutor over ym. :)

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger wurlocke commented...

wow, galing naman ng kaibigan ko! hahh.. proud ako sa yo! aba, sample pa sa class ha! Bigatin ka! :) haha

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

it's nice when you really love your class, isn't it? :) i miss that sort of satisfaction.

-- rej
http://sunshinysarcasm.blurty.com

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

im just wondering, in what school are you studying microbiology? i just graduated bs microbiology from the philippines. la lng...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home