loryces online
Of Dreams and (In)Actions

I came across this website. One particular entry caught my eye and because of it, I started asking these questions:

Would you consider yourself a person who makes things happen? Or a person who just watches things as they unfold? Do you take action to make your dreams come true? Or do you just wait for the universe to hand out things your way? How do you deal with your dreams? With fear? With denial? With acceptance? Or with regret? Do you have dreams at all or have you forgotten about them? What if life doesn't give you choices, what then? Do you simply give up or not? When things don't go our way, is it better to fight or take flight?

I envy those people who just go out and make a difference, not only in their lives but in the world as well. I don't think I'm brave enough to do it. I guess I belong to the group of people who don't take chances, who believe that asking too much is a sin, and who take whatever the universe offers and stopping at that. I guess it all comes to one thing -- fear. Fear of failure, fear of denial, fear of not accomplishing what I set out to do, fear of falling into the abyss and not being able to get up. That's all there is to it I guess... fear. But I don't want to be afraid anymore. It's suffocating. The space you inhabit is slowly shrinking to the size of a keyhole -- your comfort zone. It's just sad because I see people afraid of reaching for their goals and yet, I believe, they are capable of great achievements and so much more.

Anyway starting tomorrow, I'm going to put into effect a suggestion by Ala -- keeping a wishbook. I've always wanted to do one way back when I saw an article in Reader's Digest. I can't remember much but what I do remember is this guy accomplishing almost all of his dreams and crossing them out in his wishlist. I think he has a thousand of these dreams and he has accomplished most of them. It was inspiring. Maybe, just maybe, putting down all my dreams and wishes on paper will make it all come true. Sabi nga ni Ala, it's like 'cementing your desires.' Hmm.

2 comment(s):
At 9:05 PM, Blogger james commented...

For me, it's fear of disturbing/challenging the Filipino set of values. It's a very real obstacle when it comes to making things happen.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

James: hey i didn't think of that. that's a good one. a biggie/toughie for us filipinos (most asians, in fact) since going against the convention, of what is generally accepted, is a very serious offense. :(

Rain: I have no problem making a difference in my community although i wouldn't classify it as a big difference :) i've done some community service (ie soup kitchen, food pantry) and i love it! and you're right. it's a lot easier, making a difference in the world. what i'm anxious about is if i can follow my dreams and reach for my goals. i'm troubled by the fact that i'm afraid of doing everything i can to fulfill them. *sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home