loryces online
An Event I'd Just as Soon NOT Forget

I watched the LOTR Symphony last October 8 at the Auditorium Theater and it was a blast! It was really amazing just being there. Absolutely electrifying to say the least. Anyway let me start from the very beginning...



I was at the theater at exactly 10 minutes before 5. Tried opening the door but to no avail. Usherette came and asked me if there's anything she could do. Told her I came for the LOTR concert. She was a bit flustered and exclaimed "we'll be opening doors at 6. it's not even 5 yet." Hehe. So anyway since I don't have any place to go, I just waited. I was scared to go out and look around the city -- I might get lost. Don't want to take any chances. Anyway, saw some kids coming and going who were members of the choir performing that day, apparently preparing for the show. 3 other people came and entered the theater. Didn't know that one of them was Doug Adams, author of the upcoming book The Music of the Lord of the Rings to be released next year. If only knew!

1 hour later...

People started coming in twos and threes. At 10 minutes past six, they finally let us in. *excitement creeping in* Went inside Auditorium Theater and gasped at the immensity of the structure. Very ornate murals. Very, very nice interior. Anyway we waited for another 5 minutes before Doug Adams came and told us that Howie couldn't make it *groans and sighs* but he said he'll be answering any questions we might have to the best of his ability. To tell you the truth, I couldn't understand half of what they were saying. I recorded it anyway although it'll be hard transcribing it. Questions asked included something about Silmarillion and any plans they might have in performing it (not that he knew, Doug said), how did Howie knew where to find the rare instruments used in the music (Howie knew people who knew people that played those instruments), how involved Howie is in the movie (very involved, doug said), the 9-disc set (might be released next year), and of course the book regarding the LOTR music (also to be released next year)... and that's all I can remember. Interview was almost 30 minutes long. Pity Howie didn't make it. Oh well. So anyway after the interview was done, we went outside the lobby since it's time for the participants to get ready for the show.

At 8:00, we went back to our designated seats and we saw the participants getting ready, tuning their instruments and checking the musical sheets. Just seeing them made me go "I'm really here! I'm watching the LOTR concert!" It's so surreal. Anyway 10 minutes past 8, lights were dimmed and the conductor Mark Huber came out *applause* And the symphony started... First note pa lang, sobrang WOW. It's really something to listen to the music firsthand. Not from a CD player or radio but seeing the musicians play it and listening to it at the same time. It's ... it's... a-MA-zing! The music is basically what's in the soundtracks. Anyway here's a list of what they played:

First movement: The Prophecy -- Concerning Hobbits -- The Shadow of the Past -- A short Cut to Mushrooms -- The Old Forest -- A Knife in the Dark

Second Movement: Many meetings -- The Ring goes south -- A journey in the dark -- The Bridge of Khazad-dum -- Lothlorien -- Gandalf's Lament -- Farewell to Lorien -- The Great River -- The Breaking of the Fellowship


Other parts were not as powerful as I've hoped they would be. But it must have something to do with the seating. I was in the orchestra section and it might have been better if i'm up in the balcony -- better acoustics. Oh well lesson learned there. Regarding my fave parts, I'm so happy it's what I've imagined!! The shadow of the past, journey in the dark and the Khazad-dum parts were really powerful. You could feel the intensity of the music. There were also illustrations by Lee and Howe, which was projected on a screen above the orchestra. Some of it I haven't seen before. I was also unable to concentrate on the screen since there was a really cute violinist. He was so cute that it took a lot of willpower on my part to concentrate on the music and not him. Hehe. Anyway the lighting effects were great, matching the themes -- red for Balrog and Moria part, green for Shire and Lothlorien I think, etc.



Third to six movements next. By this part, Sissel, a musician from Scandinavia, came into the picture. She did the vocals for Evenstar, Gollum's Song, and Into the West (and some Elvish vocalizations too). She was just amazing! Her voice was intense and powerful. Goosebumps all over.


Third Movement: Foundations of Stone -- The taming of smeagol -- The Riders of Rohan -- The balck gate is closed -- Evenstar -- The White Rider -- Treebeard -- The Forbidden Pool

Fourth Movement: The Hornburg-- Forth Eorlingas -- Isengard Unleashed -- Gollum's Song


The Two Towers part were short -- a little over 30 minutes. Of course, the memorable parts are the Rohan themes. As I've imagined, the Rohan parts are utterly superb!!! Just WOW.


Fifth Movement: Hope and Memory -- The White tree -- The steward of gondor -- Cirith Ungol -- Anduril

Sixth Movement: The end of all things -- The Return of the King -- The Grey Havens -- Into the West


The lighting of the beacons part was magnificent! It was just freakin' amazing! No CD player can top that. Sissel was fabulous when she sang Into the West although I would have preferred Lennox still.

After the sixth movement, there was thunderous applause from the audience. Standing ovation!!! Applause lasted ~10 minutes. Got louder when Shore appeared onstage. He made it! I can't believe I SAW HIM! The face behind the music of LOTR -- creator of Into the West and the Grey Havens song, of the Fellowship theme, of Aniron, of the Rohan theme, lighting of the beacons theme... WOW! Even if I didnt meet him, seeing him onstage is just indescribably wow. One experience I'd just as soon NOT forget. It was just awesome. Words fail me. Just FREAKIN' AWESOME.

Anyway after the concert, there was a reception held at the 2nd floor. It was another separate payment of 75 f*cking dollars. If only I had money, I wouldn't hesitate to pay for the event. Alas, no such luck. Still, I decided to hang around and maybe Eru would have mercy on me and let me see Shore. But again, no luck. My uncle will be picking me up at 10:40. It was 10:30 when I went up the 2nd floor and I still have to walk. I decided then to leave. Sigh. Oh well no matter. The memory of the event was enough for me. Thank you Lord for this opportunity!

13 comment(s):
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

lau!! :) It's chiqui. Stumbled over your blog whilst browsing through the members page of the TPTS site. ~.^ I've been prowling nowadays... don't ask where. :P

BTW, I just began a blog (Live journal, actually) myself, right here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/3wyrdsibs/. It's a blog shared among me and my siblings. :P

Hey, this is quite the exact recount you've posted in the TPTS forums. ^o^

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

lau!! :) It's chiqui. Stumbled over your blog whilst browsing through the members page of the TPTS site. ~.^ I've been prowling nowadays... don't ask where. :P

BTW, I just began a blog (Live journal, actually) myself, right here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/3wyrdsibs/. It's a blog shared among me and my siblings. :P

Hey, this is quite the exact recount you've posted in the TPTS forums. ^o^

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

lau!! :) It's chiqui. Stumbled over your blog whilst browsing through the members page of the TPTS site. ~.^ I've been prowling nowadays... don't ask where. :P

BTW, I just began a blog (Live journal, actually) myself, right here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/3wyrdsibs/. It's a blog shared among me and my siblings. :P

Hey, this is quite the exact recount you've posted in the TPTS forums. ^o^

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

hi chiqui! yup it's the same account in TPTS. just tweaked some words here and there. will visit your LJ soon. :)

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Dr. Emer commented...

Glad you were able to see and hear live the LOTR symphony. Miss ko na din ang Chicago! =)

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

uh... sorry about those multiple comment posts... i have a very broken server *weeps*

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

Doc: Punta ka dito! =)

Elos: it's okie. =)

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Ina N commented...

uy saya mo naman. sounds like you had a fantastic time! :)

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

Liann: hehe. bout sissel's wardrobe, nope it's not eowyn-like. naka-black tube top sya and a long skirt.

Ina: yes it really was fun!

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

Lau... I'm sure you've been to ToRN just in time to gather some more updates on the upcoming RingCon. Coz BERNARD HILL'S on the list!!!! Now that's one more reason to get all stingy to save moolah for April... :P

-elos:-)

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

Lau... I'm sure you've been to ToRN just in time to gather some more updates on the upcoming RingCon. Coz BERNARD HILL'S on the list!!!! Now that's one more reason to get all stingy to save moolah for April... :P

-elos:-)

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

Lau... I'm sure you've been to ToRN just in time to gather some more updates on the upcoming RingCon. Coz BERNARD HILL'S on the list!!!! Now that's one more reason to get all stingy to save moolah for April... :P

-elos:-)

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

that's so wonderful! i probably would have been in tears if i'd been there.

-- rej

 

Post a Comment

<< Home