loryces online
Procrastinating Packrat

What's worse than a packrat and a procrastinator? I say, it's a procrastinating packrat. And I've just come to realize I'm one prime example. A disaster, I tell you!

I've never realized how much stuff I have collected for just over two years. Not only my toys and collectibles, but my notes from my classes as well. As of this writing, I have four binders and ten folders of hand-outs for the different courses I have taken these past two years (and that's after I purged some of my notes yesterday). I also have three (very thick) envelopes laden with 'important' documents, from my admission papers to immigration papers to whatever stuff I'm now unable to recall. And under my bed, I know I've hidden at least three plastic bags containing my physical therapy books. Not to mention the piles of letters and bills that I know should be thrown away ('cept for personal letters of course) because most of them were dated two/three years ago. Sheesh. What's worse (and funny in a way) is finding a pile of scantrons among my notes. Honestly, I have no idea what I was thinking when I saved them from my previous Child Psych course (that my brother would use it? jeez I guess I can be pretty stupid sometimes).

My email accounts are also not spared of this annoying habit. My main email account has probably hundreds of emails I saved from God-knows-when-and-who. Finished ebay transactions, mailing lists subscriptions, monthly newsletters, and group digests are the main ones I tend to save over the years. I just don't understand why--I've finished reading them and yet there's a little voice inside of me that would hold back and not click on the 'delete' button. Years later, I still haven't found any use for them.

All this packrat business is made worse because of my other annoying habit: procrastination. I've had the itch (to clean and purge and delete) but since I'm the procrastinator extraordinaire, nothing is done by the end of the day (or the year, shall I say).

Fortunately my boss (sort of) taught me that purging once in a while is a very good thing especially for someone who thinks everything should be saved just in case they're needed (who the hell needs used scantrons???). She also told me that if I don't know the use/purpose of a certain object, throw it. That way, you won't have to think about what's it for. I'm kind of practicing this attitude because my room badly needs it.

3 comment(s):
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Unknown commented...

does that mean i won't get to mention neil's coming to manila to u anymore? :(

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

of course you wont have to do that but i'll probably lessen my exposure to the gaiman in manila news. :D hurts too much.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger loryces commented...

di, joke lang hehe. ako pa! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home