loryces online
Scattered Thoughts

My cousin (the one from New York) and I were discussing the book The Da Vinci Code earlier. I told him that overall, I didn't like it because of these reasons. He countered, in a very condescending manner and tone, "you just don't understand it." Aba, aba, kala mo kung sinong hinayupak to. For those not in the know, my cousins have constantly belittled me since God knows when. I have been enduring these kinds of comments from these jerks for some time now -- comments like "You don't know how to operate a videocam because you're from the Philippines" and "You? Learn French? I've been studying French since first grade and I'm still not that fluent. What more if you study NOW?" Tangina talaga. Kung papatulan ko to, I would argue "Do YOU have a degree? You can't even tell the difference between their and there or when to use it's and its." Sana makatapos ako as Doctor of Physical Therapy or Nurse Practitioner. Tingnan lang natin.


I guess it's time to chant this mantra again: The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them. Hehe. Kainis kasi eh.




Each of the students in our class, in fulfillment for a requirement in the nursing course, has to complete at least 20 hours of community service. Last week, we (me + 3 of my classmates) went to the Albany Community Center to distribute goods to low-income families. I was surprised to know that each family typically receives at least 6 bags of groceries every week! Another bag is given to families with more than 7 members. Wow. Anyway, tomorrow will be another service learning opportunity. I don't have any idea where we're going but according to my friend, it might be the soup kitchen. We' re expected to chop whatever vegetables they have, stir whatever is cooking, and prepare whatever the hell is there. Sheesh. I can't even cook for me and my grandma. Don't tell me they expect ME to cook. Hardboiled eggs I can do. More than that, uh-uh.




When my aunt (and her family) left for the Philippines 5 days ago, I thought it'll be like having a holiday for 3 whole weeks. In a way, I guess it is. However, for the most part, I think I got a preview of what life would be if I decide to separate from my parents. Laundry at 9a, clean the house at 10a, wash the dishes at 10a, 1p, and 9p, water the plants at 5p, sort the mail, cook (optional), mop the floor, and so on. Doing all these is hard, especially if you're on your own. Nevertheless, I guess it's a bit exciting and fun. I just hope they (tita et al) come back soon or I'll get used to this (sort of) freedom.

12 comment(s):
At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

Take heart and don't let your cousins define or limit who you can be :) I studied french for only 10 months but my french is a lot better than my french friends' english (and they've been studying that since they were in first grade, too)...
since you're clearly more mature, be more tolerant na lang. may mga ganyan talaga sa mundo. more often than not, they will be your relatives. i have a few as well :)

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Unknown commented...

"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them."

Love that quote. :)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Anj commented...

heh. Natural yan. Kung ako yan, tatarayan ko yan. A lot of people are making fun of us, KAPWA PILIPINO PA! Minamaliit ang mga bagong dating dito sa Canada -- akala mo naman kung sino, eh most of them eh hindi tapos ng College sa Pilipinas. Mga kumag.

next time, sagutin mo. They have to have a taste of their own medicine sometimes. ;)

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

anonymous: thanks whoever you are! minsan kasi it really gets to me. iniisip ko na lang they just don't understand me (and frankly, they don't want to).

galenlondeien: me too. :)

sarah: onga eh. minsan i pity them for having that kind of attitude. minsan naman i just want to strangle them.

angela: true, true. kala mo kung sinong magagaling, mali-mali naman ang gamit nila ng _you're_ and _your_. nakakainis talaga.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Balbonics commented...

Wow you live with your gramma? Lucky you! :)
As for your cousins, patulan mo na. He he.

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Dr. Emer commented...

Insecure people tend to be overbearing sometimes. In Psychiatry, they have a term for this --- projection. Don't let them bother you.

As for your reasons about disliking Dan Brown's opus, I think you seek more depth in your readins and DA VINCI was simply not your cup of tea. You found it shallow. While many will disagree with you, I think you gave very good reasons for NOT liking the book. Most people I think, "nakikisakay" lang sa uso and don't use their better judgment in seeing things.

I for one, have NEVER been impressed with JK Rowling and I'm sorry if you are a fan. I read the 2 first HP books and I stopped. I said it wasn't worth my time. Until now, I'm baffled by the "rave reviews" and the books that sell like the "best bestsellers of all-time."

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them."

i like. i like a lot. :P

as for the housework, ah, yes. i never realized how easily chores could pile up. especially since i live with two guys who are tamad about housework. *LOL*

-- rej
http://sunshinysarcasm.blurty.com

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger karlaredor commented...

oks lang yan loryces. :)
may mga tao talagang ganyan. :)

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

balbonics: yup i do. she's the only grandparent i have right now. bout my cousins, malapit na--masasakal ko na sila.

doc: dont worry, i dont let them; although minsan tlga what they say gets to me. :( anyway i'm a fan of hp although medyo ayoko na rin. every book released, parang lalong pumapangit. hey thanks for the compliments! :)

rej: ganda ng quote di ba! bwahaha! and yes chores can really, easily pile up, it's annoying! haha!

red_door8: hay sad to say, yes may mga ganyan tlga. :( ang masakit eh mga pinsan ko pa.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger wurlocke commented...

Patulan mo na yung tao na yan! kakainis ha.. I hate those kind of ppl too. It's like they put you down before they even get to know you. Arrggghhh! You got me worked up. heh-heh

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger ajay commented...

Hi, Loryces. Nice to be touching base with you.
Discrimination against Filipinos is so pervasive. I hear it from the bigoted opinions of the foreign men I date; some way or the other, their tongue slips and all they think about is how Filipinos want to get out of the country, working as a maid even in HK is better than the Philippines. Stereotypes are pervasive even in literature. In 11 minutes, one of the characters is a Filipina who is a prostitute; she didn't even have a Filipina name (Nyah)
Idiotic foreigners also spell our race wrongly (Philippino)
All I can say is: they're lucky to be born in a more superior country. We're still better in other things.
Link me ha..pls! pls. Btw, your blog looks better now

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

pia: sinabi mo! i mean who the fuck do they think they are!? kala mo mga henyo. ni highschool ba-bagsak-bagsak naman sila. sorry for being like this pero kasi sobrang naaasar ako eh. grrr.

ajay: ewan ko nga ba sa mga foreigners na yan eh, hmph. anyway sure np i'll link yah! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home