loryces online
ACK!

Orientation week. First day today, two more days to go. Haba noh (daming arte kasi) but I guess it's ok. I mean it's good that they're going to acquaint us with all the ins and outs of this course, not to mention, the school itself. Especially for me, it would be hard getting around with no one to guide me. But you know what, after today, all I can think of was "Whew!" I guess it's both a relief and exclamation -- relief because you can see that the faculty really do care about their students (explain ko later) and exclamation because there are a lot of things I have to think about... and I mean a LOT. For the first time in my life, I think I'm going to experience the real meaning of independence. Well not really. Come to think of it, I'm living with a relative so basically I still have someone to turn to. Hmm let's take it into the context of living in the Philippines. Back then and there, I have my mom. When I need baon (money or food or whatever I need for school), andyan ang mommy. When I get bored, I just hail a cab and off I go to Marikina -- to watch a TV show, a movie, or just relax. But now, even though I have my aunt, somehow I feel it's not the same thing anymore (duh). She works full-time, 5 days a week, with her day-offs dedicated to my cousins' school activities. So kung yung mga anak nya wala na syang time, ako pa kaya?! Then add to that a foreign environment. I mean I have to gauge how they do these things around here -- how do they study, what methods do they use, how different is it from Pinas, is there "politics" involved within the confines of the room or of the school (layman's term - favoritism), will I be able to do it -- minor stuff like that. Tapos, I also have to think of these non-academic things that wouldn't really matter in my academic standing right now but will probably help in the long run -- a job, a driver's license, and a gym membership. Hay ang hirap pala.



However, of all the things I faced and thought of today, the thing (or rather persons) I really admire are the professors I've met earlier today. They seem so friendly, caring, and supportive of the students. There's no hostility (Karen you know what I'm talking about) in their faces. No "Let's see what you are made of and I will break it" kind of attitude in them. No "There's 50 of you but when you graduate, there will just be 20 mwahaha." No "All my students failed! Success!" No "I don't care if you fail, you stupid idiot!" Oh sorry guys. Got carried away. Let's just say I graduated from one of the worst colleges when it comes to student rapport. Heehee. Actually, the professors said it themselves -- once you're in the course, they will do what they can so you'll stay in the course and finish it. Isn't that amazing? I think it is -- to have your professors backing you up, helping you every step of the way, and insuring that you succeed in a course that's very demanding of its students (physically and mentally) -- I think it's just great. Haay. Wish ko lang ganito rin ang CA.. err my first college.



Haay sa kakaisip ko ng mga kelangan gawin for this semester, nahilo ako ha. BTW ang mahal pala ng libro dito! Waaaah! I bought two books today and guess how much!? $200 for two friggin' books!!! Both are hardbound. One is brand-new, the other used (although the used book costs $80 -- can you believe that?!). I still have to buy 2 more books tomorrow. Egad.



Took pictures of my school earlier. Hopefully I could post it tom. Tomorrow's another orientation day. Yikes!



EDIT:

Here's a pic of the school. More tomorrow (I hope).


0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home