loryces online
Adding Favicons

I've always wanted to create a favicon for my site. I just didn't have a favorite picture so I kept putting it off. Yesterday, I realized my picture in my Blogger profile would do well as an icon... and so I did just that. If you're using Mozilla Firefox, you can see my icon right before the URL at the address bar or at the side of the tab, if tabbed browsing is allowed. For IE, I think you have to bookmark my site first before you can view my favicon. Isn't it neat?

I got so amused with favicons that I decided to make more.

The fleur-de-lis (meaning "lily flower") is a controversial symbol that is particularly associated with the French monarchy. It's one of the symbols I find very intriguing... plus it's cute.

Ah, the ever ubiquitous yin yang... a well-known Chinese symbol that explains the interdependency between things.

A sunny icon... perfect for one of my friends.

For the Star Wars fan... Can't decide between Darth Vader, Yoda, or the lightsaber. I decided the stormtrooper helmet is a lot better 'cause I think it will be far more recognizable since it's an itty-bitty 32 x 32 pic.

For the Harry Potter fan... that's the best I can come up with. Suggestions for a Harry Potter favicon are more than welcome.

Of course, the One Ring... One of the first favicons I made today. I wanted to use this one but I figured my caricature would be cuter as an icon (hehe).

Another LOTR-related favicon, the eye of Sauron is another favorite of mine. There's something about this pic that would make a perfect favicon (I SEE YOUUU!). Hehe.

A coffee cup, perfect for another friend of mine.

Well I'm a Xenite so I had to include a Xena trinket in my list of favicons. Not bad, I think.

Borrowed this from a blogmate. If it wasn't for the fact that this pic is taken, I would have used this instead of my caricature. Cute eh.


To use these favicons:
Save the desired picture on your server/directory. You can also save them using free picture hosting sites. Be forewarned: Mozilla accepts file formats other than .ico but the other web browsers only accepts .ico files. Add the following code to the <head> tag of your template:

<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico">

Make sure you change the http://www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico with the picture's filename. Ta-daaa!

_____
* Pictures are taken via Google and "iconized" using Irfanview. Instructions in creating favicons, I'm afraid, will have to wait (if anyone's interested). Got homework to do so 'til my next post.

10 comment(s):
At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

it worked it worked it worked! *hophophop*

-- rej

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger loryces commented...

rej: yey! i cant see it in IE though coz they strictly use .ico files. let me know if you want to change it to an .ico file.

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

uyy ang cute! i like the sun and oh yes, the cat.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Tanya commented...

super!!! love it! thanks for the tip! now i know how to do the favicon thingie! yahoo! hehehe.. thanks a lot!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger loryces commented...

dona: heehee.

tanya: yey! glad i could help. :)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger lifecafe commented...

these are so cute!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

hey krys if you want, sa yo na yung coffee cup! :)

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger lifecafe commented...

hey, thanks, lau! how do i save it as .ico??

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

i'll send you the tag krys! :)

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

wow they're all cute! of course i like the LOTR .. and the coffee cup too (coffee addict kc e LoL) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home