loryces online
Change of Plans

The HR department of the hospital where I'll be working at called today and told me that I won't be working at the Medsurg/Telemetry floor as they said initially. The said hospital is reorganizing the floors and the staff. Most of the nurses working at the Substance Abuse floor will be transferred to Medsurg/Telemetry, hence all positions have been filled, leaving me uhm "floor-less." They gave me options but I can't decide which I'm going to take. Each has its own merits and drawbacks. I don't want to rush my decision because I'll be working at the floor for a year, maybe more. As a new grad, I'd like to maximize my resources and learning opportunities without sacrificing my social life (what social life?!) and my health.


OPTION 1
Floor: Telemetry
Hours: 7p-7a
Merits: It's what I like.
Drawbacks: The schedule is going to kill me! Plus, being a new grad and all, I don't think a 12-hour shift is a good choice for maximum learning and retention. Before you can remember all the names of the staff, you're between the real world and sleepyland.

OPTION 2
Floor: Medsurg/Orthopedic
Hours: 3-11p
Merits: I'd like to practice my first degree in a few months so this is a good area to start in. Also, no problem with the sched.
Drawbacks: Not all that interested in this area. Besides, I'd like to see my clients get better in a few days, not months.

OPTION 3
Floor: Diabetes/Oncology
Hours: 3-11p
Merits: The hours are fine.
Drawbacks: I don't think I'll enjoy working in this floor. Being a new grad, I'm squeamish about handling clients with cancer. Not to mention handling diabetic clients can be a drag. I'd like to take care of people who will get better not worse.

OPTION 4
Floor: Medsurg/Telemetry/Substance Abuse
Hours: 3-11p/11p-7a
Merits: Well there's Telemetry and Medsurg--a good combination for a new grad. Also, the sched is fine with me even though I have to work some nights.
Drawbacks: Substance abuse?? Honestly, I don't know what to feel about this area.


Sigh... so many choices but none that really fits what I want. Any thoughts?

4 comment(s):
At 11:14 PM, Blogger kikaygal commented...

If I were in your shoes: I'll choose OPTION 1. It's a 12 hour shift alright, but this is what I like. And besides, diba you were telling me na you're planning to apply for another job? Mas okay na itong 12-hour shift. :) Just my thought.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

if I were you, i'll choose option 2 cuz the time is fine and working 12 hours straight is not very appealing. Unless your use to working long hours then go for it.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger Unknown commented...

I won't tell you what to do. Just do what you think is good for you. Do what you want. It's your life you're living. Just make sure that the decision will not give you any regrets. Lessons are learned everyday, but avoid regrets. :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger loryces commented...

sis: thanks! i'll keep that in mind.

miden: thanks for dropping by. i'm a new grad so i'm thinking of doing the 8-hour shift instead of the 12-hour. then again, ortho is not my strong suit. but thanks for the input!

galen: i know that. but with these options, i'm having a hard time choosing. that's why i asked for the help of my readers. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home