loryces online
As Insane As It Gets

Over the years, the stigma of having a psychiatric disorder has not declined, as opposed to the stigma of having cancer or AIDS. Having the 2 latter diseases is not considered a disgrace as compared to having schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. I guess, this has caused our (my classmates and I) apprehension and anxiety in meeting and handling psych patients. Whenever we talk about psychiatric illnessess, we tend to imagine Hannibal-like patients. Believe me, that's not the way to calm yourself when you know you're going to interact with psych patients. However, to my surprise, my psych rotation has been one of the most enjoyable (and funniest!) clinical rotations I've had this year. Expect your patients to make your day interestingly unique.


  • A 37 year-old Caucasian male with bipolar disorder exhibiting manic episode who kept chasing me! The thing that surprises me most is he's wheelchair-bound (poor balance) but would always get up whenever he sees me. Freakyyyy!

  • A 68 year old schizophrenic female patient who is highly combative but is all nice when the nursing students talk to her; she would grab my hand and say "I love you, L___. You are so beautiful L___. Your hands are so soft. I love you L___" -- freaky! -- she would say that with eyes UNBLINKING, looking straight at you. Freaky but funny when I think about it.

  • A 17 year-old patient with bipolar disorder, manic episode exhibiting delusions of grandeur ("I'm like Einstein you know. I'm smarter than the doctors and nurses. I have sixth sense too. I can feel when someone is suffering or dying. I can see spirits and ghosts too"), loose associations (jumping from one topic to another), and hallucinations. It was a great learning experience just talking to her. This patient exhibits all the textbook symptoms and I know I'll be thinking of her during our Psych exam. Hehe.



But it has also been the most depressing, in a way.


  • A 6 year-old African-American female patient who was born addicted to cocaine, was sexually abused by a cousin, & was physically abused by mother; also has poor impulse control, sexually acting out (ie touching other people inappropriately, saying inappropriate comments, etc - I guess this kid thinks it's normal because apparently somebody did it to her), and hyperactive

  • A 4 year-old kid physically abused by parents; diagnosed with bipolar disorder and has behavior problems (defying authority, poor impulse control); also exhibits poor self esteem and has suicidal ideations

  • A 15 year-old female adolescent who sees herself as a "big fat glob" and mutilates herself



I don't know about you but this just makes me sad. A 4 and 6 year-old kid in a psychiatric hospital?!? I just had a hard time dealing with it especially when I reviewed their charts. Their parents should not have been allowed to live... or to have kids at least. At such a young age, these kids have been exposed to the evils of our society. It's just wrong. :(

Well there you have it, the funniest and yet, the most depressing field of nursing -- psychiatric nursing.

3 comment(s):
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous commented...

Very interesting. I envy you for such experiences but it's true how saddening it can be to meet children in those kind of state. Good luck with your schooling!


Dona
http://www.flops16.com

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Ate Sienna commented...

nakakalungkot nga... specially the kids.

Remember that old song "Sino ang Baliw?". It alludes that people with mental disorders are luckier than people born "normal" but whose hearts are uncapable of loving? I know the song is just being poetic, but considering that some people with disorders are disturbed by something they seem to see or hear or feel all the time, are they actually luckier than the "normal" ones?

I guess everyone has their own version of tribulations...

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger loryces commented...

Dona: hay sinabi mo. it breaks my heart to see children in those state. :( thanks!

Ate Sienna: actually i thought of that too. i guess in a way people with psychiatric illnessess are lucky. they dont have to deal with the everyday 'evils' of the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home